Charlesbridge publishes high-quality books for children and adults, with a goal of creating and supporting lifelong readers and lifelong learners. Our children’s books encourage reading and discovery in the classroom, library, and home, and embrace a child’s innate sense of wonder and fun. Charlesbridge believes that books should offer accurate information, be both compelling and educational, and promote a positive worldview. To this end, we continually strive to seek new voices, new visions, and new directions in both children's and adult literature.
Charlesbridge is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. As part of our commitment to health and safety, Charlesbridge requires COVID-19 vaccines for current employees, including all newly hired employees.
Independent publisher seeks Sales and Marketing Associate to join our sales and marketing team. Successful candidates will possess a love of books for readers of all ages and a desire to promote our unique and celebrated trade list. This is a full-time, benefitted position. Charlesbridge currently operates under a hybrid in-office/virtual work schedule, requiring some time in our Watertown offices. Candidates must reside in or be willing to relocate to Massachusetts to qualify.
Working as part of our sales and marketing team and reporting to the Retail Sales and Marketing Manager, the Sales and Marketing Associate will support sales and marketing efforts across markets, create promotional content, and actively participate in front and backlist title campaigns, with a particular focus on consumer facing outlets, including, but not limited to independent bookstores, special markets, and Amazon.
Associate will also work closely with authors and illustrators from all imprints, advising on best practices to promote their work and build their profiles and name recognition, setting expectations and ushering them through the sales and marketing process.
The ideal candidate has an understanding of the retail market for both children’s titles and adult non-fiction, has previous trade marketing or bookselling experience, is organized and detail-oriented, and is interested in working as part of a collaborative team.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Aids with execution of account, market, and title specific promotional programs, mailings and account maintenance for indies, specialty retailers, and online retailers.
- Aids with planning and execution of regional trade shows and national industry events.
- Pitches marketing and event opportunities to retailers, conferences, festivals, school and libraries, and special market outlets. Arranges travel where appropriate.
- Develops and maintains relationships with and manages expectations of contributors; shares best practices on self-promotion, media appearances.
- Aids with creation, development, and distribution of creative content and promotional pieces, including all Edelweiss catalogs, sales materials, and sell sheets
- Presents titles to booksellers, reviewers, and other key contacts as appropriate.
- Works closely with the social media consultant and Retail Sales and Marketing Manager to craft and drive retail and consumer messaging and interest through in-house communications via newsletters, social media, e-blasts, and physical mailings.
- Facilitates newsletters (and other digital marketing) to retail and consumer lists.
- Bachelor of Arts degree or experience equivalent
- Minimum of two years of publishing, marketing, or bookselling experience
- Working knowledge of Microsoft and Google suites and file sharing services like Dropbox
- Familiarity with Edelweiss, Amazon Analytics and SEO beneficial, as is familiarity with video conferencing services including but not limited to Zoom and Crowdcast
- Critical thinking and the ability to multitask and meet deadlines
- A strong sense of prioritization and attention to detail
- Well-honed written and oral communication skills; experience writing marketing and sales copy preferred, comfort speaking and presenting to both large and small groups a plus
- A strong desire to work in collaborative, team-oriented environment
How to Apply
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to email@example.com. Inclusion of writing samples with application materials encouraged. Please send application materials in one PDF doc with subject line “Retail Sales and Marketing Associate”. No phone calls or snail mail, please.
The editorial assistant assists a team of editors with a range of fiction and nonfiction titles from board books and picture books to middle grade and young adult. The assistant also provides administrative support for the editorial department and works on paperbacks and foreign imports. This is a full-time, in-house position with benefits. Charlesbridge currently operates under a hybrid in-office/virtual work schedule, requiring a minimum of two days per week in our office in Watertown, Massachusetts.
The editorial assistant writes copy, drafts proposals and title information sheets, and does data entry, fact checking, and research in support of a team of editors. The editorial assistant also provides operational support to the editorial department and maintains and improves departmental systems. There is room for growth and promotion and for the assistant to eventually acquire and edit their own titles.
Essential Job Functions and Responsibilities
- Assist with reading and evaluating manuscripts; write thoughtful and timely decline and revision letters
- Assist with generating proposals, terms sheets, and P&Ls for prospective projects through the project management platform (Biblio)
- Assist with editing manuscripts, demonstrating excellent writing, grammar, and spelling and displaying a firm knowledge of Charlesbridge house style and Chicago Manual of Style, as well as creative flair
- Assist with evaluating sketches, final art, layouts, and proofs and balancing aesthetic, creative, and financial concerns while collaborating with design and production colleagues
- Assist with writing flap copy and other selling copy for books
- Perform a variety of administrative functions to support the editorial department
- Excellent organization and time management
- Attention to detail
- Creative thinking and problem solving
- Strong sense of prioritization
- Ability to work autonomously
- Well-honed communication
- Ability to learn online platforms
- Microsoft Office proficiency
Our ideal candidate holds a bachelor’s degree, has prior knowledge of children’s books, performs efficiently under pressure, thrives in a fast-paced environment, and enjoys working as part of a team.
How to Apply
Please send cover letter and resume in one PDF doc with subject line “Editorial Assistant” to firstname.lastname@example.org. No phone calls or snail mail, please.
Independent publisher seeks an organized, energetic, and enthusiastic accounting and administration assistant to join our Administration Department. This is a full-time, in-house position with benefits. Charlesbridge currently operates under a hybrid in-office/virtual work schedule, requiring a minimum of two days per week in our office in Watertown, Massachusetts.
The accounting and administration assistant works closely with accounting and other staff in the Administration Department to provide support in various accounting and office management roles. This is an entry-level position for candidates who have a background in accounting, and who are organized, detail oriented, and eager to learn the business side of book publishing.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Process accounts payable, including setting up new vendors and processing payment/purchase requests.
- Process customer orders, including website orders and distributor sales statements.
- Process author and illustrator royalties, including preparing, reviewing, and processing royalty statements for payment and maintaining royalty payment schedules.
- Perform office and administrative responsibilities, including office related employee communications, various office / property management activities, and ad hoc report generation.
- Provide general office support to the Administration Department and executive officers.
- Bachelor of Arts degree or equivalent.
- Must have undergraduate and/or work-related accounting and bookkeeping experience.
- Must have strong computer skills and a working knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
- Works constructively with others in a team environment.
- Takes ownership of, and pride in, work product
- Able to multi-task and change work focus as necessary to meet deadlines.
- Cheerful problem solver of short- and long-term challenges.
- A quick study who is eager to learn new technologies and processes.
- Willing to pursue professional development through training and attending local conferences and industry events.
How to Apply
Applicants should send a resume and cover letter outlining how they meet the specific requirements of the position to email@example.com. Please send application materials in one PDF doc with subject line “Accounting and Administration Assistant.” No phone calls or snail mail, please.